Listen To Team Hustle's "Niggaz Wit Attitude"

GET IT NOW!!

GET IT NOW!!
A musical experience like no other!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

my interview with "escape the matrix"

Mark Milly Makes Magic:
The Mark Milly Interview

Written by: Richard Russ

Catching up with this young man was a little bit of a task, but when you’re trying to catch up with a CEO/Solo Artist who dedicates all his time to making moves, it’s like trying to capture lighting in a bottle. Mark Milly a.k.a. Lucky is the CEO of $_Y.HGM_$ (Young Hustlaz Gettin Money). Even though being a CEO is a big enough job, Mark also holds down a 9-to-5 and solo career. How does he do it? I called him to find out…

I read over you bio and it says you started making music at age 12. What was your inspiration at that age to want to make music?

I was mainly inspired by Kriss Kross and Bow Wow… young artists who were doing it, so I thought, “Why can’t I?” I was young then. I spent most of my time just writing and not recording. I wasn’t ready for anything serious.

So, when did you officially start recording and what was the first thing you recorded? How did it make you feel?

The first thing I recorded was a song with GoodFellaz, the group I started out with. We started out recording on tape decks at a friend’s house and then a member of our group got a program on his computer which allowed us to start recording in a new way. We started to record songs and make mix-tapes to distribute at school and around the neighborhood. It was a new feeling. We thought we were the shit. [laughs] The quality wasn’t right, but it was a beginning.

I Bring Loyalty, Responsibility, Drive, And Dedication To What I Do. And There Is Always Going To Be A Struggle, But
I Try To Keep Music And Business Equal.

So, you are now a solo artist, but did you always have a solo drive even while being a part of a group?

I didn’t always have a solo drive, but I always felt the most focused and wiling to work. I am always willing to work with anyone.

Who or what are some of your biggest musical influences?

I am inspired by Jay Z and others like him who have made their money through more than just music—the entrepreneurs of the industry—and my son.

What was the process like to turn from “Lucky of the GoodFellaz” to “Lucky the solo artist” and then “Mark Milly the CEO”?

It was a long process. At first, we were just making music as a group and individually… just making music with no direction. Then, I started to research what it takes to make a business out of the music. From there, I used what I learned to make what we were doing more than music.

What are some of the biggest hurdles as a CEO?

Managing 13 artists is like having 13 kids. It’s very hard to try to make sure everyone is getting the attention they deserve. I constantly sacrifice time and opportunities to shine for my artists.

What are some of your proudest moments?

Whenever I hear someone say, “I like what ya’ll doing!” Or if I see one of my artists truly on their grind and making things happen I am proud. I have a proud moment almost everyday.

Managing 13 Artists Is Like Having 13 Kids. It’s Very Hard To Try To Make Sure Everyone Is Getting The Attention
They Deserve. I Constantly Sacrifice Time And Opportunities To Shine For My Artists.

What do you bring to the table as an Artist and CEO and is there a struggle in being both?

I bring loyalty, responsibility, drive, and dedication to what I do. And there is always going to be a struggle, but I try to keep music and business equal.

What is the future looking like for Mark Milly?

I plan on turning what I have into more than music. I would like to build an empire. I want to branch out into film and fashion because there isn’t really money in music anymore…

Even though our conversation was brief, I could tell that the information he was giving was a beginning of a story that would be told again and again. Mark Milly is a name that will not soon be forgotten. He started an empire that has everything to gain and space to grow. Tomorrow is brighter thanks to the light Mark Milly puts over the shrouded darkness that is the conception of youth in America.

visit the actual site: http://etmmagazine.info/freeyourmind/2009/06/2009_06_markmilly.html

No comments: